Enjoy a colorful life filled with bursts of joy and exciting summer adventures. I love how colors can represent emotions, traits or experiences in entertainment and style. I think of vibrant stories with the yellow brick road, blue avatars and green gables. One of my favorite colors is pink that can mean unconditional love and nurturing. Summer colors can be seen in full vibrant glory on our sunny hot days outside but can also be enjoyed inside by artists and colorful experiences. Below are top five colorful experiences that let you step into or even on for a summer adventure.
Location: Hammer Museum
10899 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90024
Open: Open Now til October 27, 2019
The Museum’s Hours are from Tue.-Fri. 11am-8pm , Sat. & Sun. 11am-5pm,
Closed on Mondays
The painted staircase are in the Hammer’s Lobby Staircase which is open around 9am weekdays. You can enter the lobby doors attached to the parking lot and enjoy Yunhee Min’s work before the museum even opens!
Price: Free to view lobby stairs, Museum Admission to all exhibitions and public programs is free and open to the public
Parking: Convenient parking is available under the museum (enter off Westwood Blvd) Rates are $7 for the first three hours with museum validation, and $3 for each additional 20 minutes, with a $20 daily maximum. There is a $7 flat rate after 6 p.m. on weekdays, and all day on weekends. Parking is cash only with parking attendant at exit.
Hammer Museum: Gallery with a permanent collection of historical works & special exhibits of edgy contemporary art.
Colorful Art Description: Yunhee Min adapts the vibrant abstract imagery of her paintings on canvas to the steps of the Hammer’s lobby staircase, in the first Hammer Project to be oriented on the floor rather than the walls. Min completely alters the surface of the stairs themselves, while also making subtle modifications to the walls and lighting in the lobby to underscore how context impacts experience and enhance the visitors’ awareness of the architecture. Her work has help expand the “definition and possibilities for painting as a medium and the relationship between painting, surface, and space.” I love how these colorful stairs reflect Southern California’s sunny vibe with our brilliantly colored sunsets, city lights and sunlight. The inventive use of color splotches look like swirls of movement reminding me of the ever constant movement in Los Angeles.
Top: LOFT Petite Dot Stripe Wrap Top in Whisper White. I love how LOFT has great sales online and in stores. This top is originally $59.50 and is on sale for $49.99 with an additional 50% off. I like how this wrap top has a subtle yet fun pattern mixing dots and stripes without being too much.
Earrings: LOFT Beaded Ring Drop Earrings. The fun multi-colored beads match the colorful stairs in the lobby!
Jeans: Topshop Joni High-Waisted Jeans from Nordstrom’s Anniversary sale ending on August 4th. Get a $10 reward buy buying online and choosing a store to pick your order up at.
Location: La Brea Tar Pits & Museum
5801 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90036
Open: Now Open- November 2019
11-7pm every day. Until 9pm on Fridays
Price: Free Admission (Admission is free, but timed – pick your time and date to get a ticket slot for a set time). Walk Ups are welcome too.
Tickets: Please Click Here
Parking: Parking in the lot (corner of Curson ave and 6th St) can be pricey at $15 so look for metered street parking (read all signs for restrictions). Do not park on Wilshire Blvd between the hours of 7-9 pm and 4-7 pm (Monday-Friday) or your car will be ticketed and towed. This applies even if you are at a meter.
Description: Visit the Serpentine Pavilion a colorful maze of airy rainbow tunnels located on the outside of La Brea tarpits. Architects SelgasCano the Spanish duo of Jose Selgas and Lucia Cano are the creatives who designed the 886 square foot chrysalis like design which features a mix of translucent plastic walls and fabric ribbons. Choose your own journey with multiple ways to explore the pavilion with the many entrances and exits. All pathways emanate from a center location where you will be immersed in stained glass light. I felt like Alice in Wonderland or Dorothy in her search for Oz as I walked down the walkways filled with reflective surfaces and rainbow tinted shadows. The pavilion is also stunning after the sun goes down.
Tips: Visit the Serpentine Pavilion on Fridays when it is opened until 9pm in the evening. You can also visit the Tarpits with free admission only on Friday.
Check the instagram account stories for exclusive ticket releases and sign up on the mailing list to know about the cultural program of live music, performance art, talks, dance and screenings hosted by the Second Home Pavilion.
Slideshow Photos: Second Home
La Brea Tar Pits: Enjoy the colorful rainbow like adventure and then visit the La Brea Tar Pits. It is an indoor-outdoor experience where you can explore the only actively excavated Ice Age fossil site found in an urban location in the world. Though the indoor Page Museum and excavation tours will cost you, it’s free to explore the outdoor tar pits.
La Brea Tar Pits Tips: Avoid the hot weather and come on Friday nights when temperatures drop down and it’s much cooler. You can explore the Tar Pits after hours on Fridays from 5-8 pm now until August 30th and get free museum admission. Explore the Tar Pits and the Park where you can witness excavators working on sites Project 23 and Pit 91. After that go into the museum for free where you can view scientists and volunteers work at the Fossil Lab. Experience the Mammoths and Mastodons at La Brea Tar Pits exhibition.
Please check out the La Brea Tar Pits Website for some more information.
La Brea Tar Pits Normal Hours: Daily 9:30am-5pm
Museum Free Days: In addition to the late night Fridays and free admission this month, the La Brea Tar Pits grants free access to the museum (general admission usually $14 bought online or $15 in person). Click Here for more info.
Places to Eat in the Area
- The Counter ($$) Monday-Saturday 11 am-11pm
Build your own burgers (beef and turkey), fries and salads. Menu, Separate Gluten Free Menu available upon request
- Starbucks Mon.-Thur. 5:30am-7pm, Fri. til 8pm, Sat. 6:30am-7:30pm, Sun. 7am-7pm
Gourmet Coffee drinks, pastries, salads and sandwiches
- Mixt ($$) Monday-Friday 11am-4pm
Design your own salads made with farm fresh ingredients. Dine in or take out. PDF Menu Summer 2019 labeled for gluten plus vegetarian and vegan options
Location: The Row Downtown Los Angeles
777 Alameda St, Los Angeles, CA 90021
Hours: 8am-10pm Daily
Parking Information: Automated Parking Structure off Alameda St. on Center St.
Rates: Sunday-Friday, 1st and 2nd Hour Free With Validation, 1st Hour Free Without Validation
Saturday: No Validation Required, 1st and 2nd Hour Free
Daily Max Rate: $12
Description: Experience ROW DTLA the historic heart of LA re-imagined to celebrate the city’s cultural, culinary, and creative essence. Shop, Dine Live and enjoy the different pop-up experiences in modernized industrial structures. One of my favorite places in the Paramount Coffee Project serving CalAussie cuisine and specialty coffee. Mon-Wed 8am to 5pm & Thur-Sun until 8pm. The menu is clearly labeled for gluten free and vegan options like their brown rice bowl or coconut oats.
- Makers Mess Events & Workshops: Express your artisan soul and learn how to make watercolor galaxies (8/20), abstract painting (8/30) etc. for a cost. Please see their calendar.
- Ice Cream Alley at Smorgasburg LA: Perhaps one of the greatest events the Row is known for is hosting Smorgasburg LA where food vendors line up to serve you delicious food of all kind as an open-air food market. In particular there is an ice cream alley at Smorgasburg LA that features all of LA’s best ice cream and sweet treat purveyors in one place, open every single Sunday, all through Labor Day from 10am to 4pm. Wanderlust Creamery serves up sticky rice and mango (vegan and dairy free).
- 7th Street Produce Market: gather fresh ingredients at the market open to the public Mon-Sat. See Vendors Here.
- Shopify: Shopify has a location at the Row and is described as “destination for current and aspiring business owners seeking to learn, experiment, and build with Shopify.” They have different classes and events from brand building, conversion optimization, SEO etc.
Hours: Tuesday & Wednesday | 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Thursday & Friday | 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Saturday | 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Sunday | 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Closed on Mondays, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day
Parking:The three-level underground garage has an entrance on 2nd Street between Hope Street and Grand Avenue. The cost with validation is $12; on weekdays before 5 p.m., additional charges apply after three hours. Since parking is pricey plan to go with a group of your friends
General Admission to the Broad: Free, includes access to the third floor galleries, which display a robust and changing selection of work by artists including Jean-Michel Basquiat, Mark Bradford, Jeff Koons, Barbara Kruger, Yayoi Kusama, Takashi Murakami, Andy Warhol, and more. General admission tickets are timed and available every half hour, up until one hour before the museum closes. Get tickets here.
Infinity Room Tickets: General admission tickets do not include access to Yayoi Kusama’s Infinity Mirrored Room—The Souls of Millions of Light Years Away, 2013. To experience this artwork, a separate signup is required after you enter the museum with your admission ticket.
Description: The Broad is a stunning contemporary art museum on Grand Avenue in Downtown Los Angeles. By now you may have already heard the buzz about their special exhibit called Infinity Mirrored Room – The Souls of Millions of Light by artist Yayoi Kusama. It is definitely a must see exhibit. This installation is a mirror-lined room with flashing LED lights that you physically enter with a door that closes behind you.
Dining: Make reservations at Otium, a contemporary restaurant
Lunch: 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Tuesday – Friday
Snacks: 2:30 – 5:30 p.m., Tuesday – Sunday
Dinner: 5:30 – 10 p.m., Sunday – Thursday; 5:30 – 11 p.m., Friday – Saturday
Brunch: 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Saturday and Sunday
Helpful Tips: Here are some helpful tips to help you navigate through the Broad and this exhibit to make it an enjoyable time for you and your guests.
- Plan your visit in advance to minimize waiting in long lines. Register online for advanced tickets to see when there is availability. If you did not register in advance there is a walk up entry via the onsite standby line.
- As soon as you enter the museum it is a good idea to register to obtain a ticket reservation to see Kusama’s exhibit. The earlier you go the better your chance to experience the exhibit. Make your timeslot in the morning or the early afternoon.
- Once inside the museum, visit the iPad kiosk in the lobby to join the first-come, first-served virtual queue for The Souls of Millions of Light Years Away. You will need to enter your mobile phone number and first name. You will receive an approximate wait time.
- Follow the instructions included in the text message and proceed to The Souls of Millions of Light Years Away. Ask any Visitor Services Associate (VSA) for help or directions.
- Check in with the VSA at the room and wait in a short line for your turn. Enjoy!
Location: Westfield Century City
10250 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90067
Dreamscape is on the 2nd floor, near Eataly and Del Frisco’s.
Monday – Thursday 10am – 10pm
Friday 10am – 11pm
Saturday 8:30am – 11pm
Sunday 8:30am – 10pm
Parking: Enter parking off Santa Monica Blvd, turn left in structure and park near Macy’s to take elevator or escalator up to second floor.
1st hour: COMPLIMENTARY
Hours 1-1.5: $3
Hours 1.5-5: $1 every 30 minutes
Ticket Prices: Choose a “departure time” for your chosen adventure on the website’s calendar. General admission is $20 per person ($1.50 convenience fee is added if bought online). Pods depart every 20 minutes during peak hours. Some time slots allow you to book up to 6 people for the same adventure. If you need a refund (24 hours prior to your time) you need to go to the store in person. Exchanges can be done in person too.
Description: Dreamscape is a virtual reality experience (35 minutes) that is a shared sensory adventure putting you in a story that unfolds around you. Pick your adventure, choose your look of your avatar, gear-up and leap in. Travel to new fantastical realms that will ignite your imagination and engage your senses – “breathe in the exotic scents of an alien wilderness. Feel ancient temples tremble beneath your feet. Reach out and touch the wonders that surround you and your friends.”
3 Adventures to Choose From: Arrive 15 minutes before departure time to check-in. You will be signing a waiver agreement.
- Alien Zoo: Journey to a wildlife refuge in space and encounter the galaxy’s most endangered species.
- The Blue Deep Rescue: Plunge into the wonders of the deep on a mission to help reunite a family of whales.
- Curse of the Lost Pearl (A Magic Projector Adventure): Leap into a daring adventure to break an ancient curse and find the lost pearl.
Tips: Wear your comfortable and stylish sneakers for this experience with jeans. There is merch available.
Photography: Take photos in the departure lounge but you can’t record the adventure.
PLACES TO EAT at Westfield
- Beaming Organic Superfood Cafe (Level 1 Below Dreamscape) Beaming’s plant-based menu is organic, gluten and dairy free. Order online and have your food ready to be picked up before or after visiting Dreamscape
- Eatly (Italian Restaurants, Grab and Go Counters, Market & Cafe level 2 near Dreamscape). Get the wild catch of the day prepared that way you like at Il Pesce Cucina Restaurant or make your own salad at L’Orto Dello Chef counter
- Opposite side of Westfield: AsianBox (Gluten Free), Tocaya, (Gluten Free and Vegan Options)
Share your unique style and personality by finding a colorful outfit that represents you. Perhaps you want to to wear a multi-colored accessory or statement piece to add color to a sleek black or white look with a bold color lip. You could also incorporate your favorite color into any wardrobe. Below are some fun colorful pieces!