Even though Broadway and all live entertainment venues have been forced to temporarily close down due to COVID-19, you can still support the arts and enjoy your favorite Broadway stars and shows virtually online. Movie premiere dates also have been pushed back, such as Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story. I look forward to the day we can all enjoy live theater again.
Here are some terrific opportunities to enjoy your favorite Broadway and performing arts stars perform right in the comfort of your own home through your computer screen. Make it a fun night and arrange to have a viewing party with your friends across the globe to enjoy these mega-talented superstars!
About: The time has come! ✨@bwayprincesspty is partnering with @airbnb to bring you a once-in-a-lifetime virtual workshop/performance hybrid experience! The one you’ve been waiting for! Join original Broadway Princesses – Laura Osnes (Cinderella), Susan Eagan (Belle), and Courtney Reed (Jasmine) while they spill behind-the-scenes stories, perform their signature songs, and answer YOUR questions! The OG #PrincessPosse is reuniting to quarantine this September to bring you the magic so don’t miss it! 👑
You’ll hear it all: from how Courtney inspired Alan Menken to write a new song for ‘Princess Jasmine’, to Susan’s thoughts on playing the first Broadway princess, ‘Belle’ – and her hilarious audition for the animated film “Hercules” – to Laura’s magical transformation from “rag-a-muffin” to “royal” 8-shows a week in “Cinderella.’
When: 9/26 at 85pm PDT and 9/27 at 12 pm PDT.
Where: Airbnb partnership on ZOOM
Tickets: Sold Through Airbnb
About: “David Burnham’s dazzling singing and acting combine to charm the pants off everyone onstage and in the audience. He’s the type of actor who, when he smiles, you could swear sunlight glints off his teeth and his infectious energy makes the whole thing believable.” ‑ The Hollywood Reporter. Broadway’s David Burnham, (Wicked, The Light in the Piazza) and the star of Musical Theatre West’s Sunset Boulevard, Disney’s The Little Mermaid, La Cage Aux Folles and more will captivate you will his stunning vocals in this brand new show just for the Keep the Lights on Concert Series.
Musical Theatre West’s Keep the Lights on Benefit Concert Series is a way to help raise funds for Musical Theatre West during this time when it’s safer-at-home and they aren’t able to produce their large-scale musicals at the Carpenter Performing Arts Center.
When: Friday, October 9 at 7 pm (PDT) (avail till midnight)
Encore Broadcast: Wednesday, October 14 at 3 pm (PDT) (avail till midnight). Can’t watch right at showtime? THE SHOW STARTS WHEN YOU’RE READY, complete watching by midnight on October 9 (or October 14 for an encore).
Where: Online special link and password
Tickets: Purchase Online. A $25 donation per concert.
About: Playbill and The Broadway League are proud to present ¡Viva Broadway! Hear Our Voices, a digital concert in celebration of Latinx Heritage Month, as well as Latinx milestones in theatre, featuring an extraordinary roster of award-winning stage and screen Latinx talent. Hosted by Andréa Burns (In the Heights, On Your Feet!) the concert features performances from the original cast of In The Heights, On Your Feet!, Kiss My Aztec, and a first-look at Antonio Banderas’s Spanish adaptation of A Chorus Line.
¡VIVA Broadway! will include appearances by Pulitzer Prize winner Nilo Cruz (Anna in the Tropics) and playwright Christina Quintana (CQ) (Lives in Limbo) in addition to previously announced speakers Lucie Arnaz, Gloria Estefan, Quiara Alegría Hudes (In the Heights), Moisés Kaufman (The Laramie Project), Matthew López (The Inheritance), Josh Segarra (On Your Feet!), Benjamin Velez (Kiss My Aztec), John Leguizamo, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Luis Miranda, Chita Rivera, Daphne Rubin-Vega, and Thalía. Justina Machado, Gabrielle Ruiz and so many more talented artists to celebrate with!
About: Directed by Emma Rice (Kneehigh’s Brief Encounter and The Flying Lovers of Vitebsk), this award-winning musical was meant to be on a tour of the USA before the pandemic struck. The Wallis is thrilled to present the digital U.S. Premiere with a fully staged live broadcast coming direct from the U.K.’s Bristol Old Vic Theatre to audiences at home across the world, in all its glory!
The story centers around Angélique who makes beautiful chocolates, carefully infused with all the emotion that seems to overwhelm her in daily life. Jean-René runs a chocolate factory that is running out of steam. Both seek help from the usual sources: Jean-René favors self-help tapes, and Angélique joins a support group. Filled with all the joy and pain it takes to love and survive in the modern world, Romantics Anonymous is a tale that will lift any heart. Read The New York Times story on the digital U.S. Premiere.
Sat. Sep. 26 at 1:00 PM – Live Stream
Mon. Sep. 28 at 11:00 AM – Audio Described
Mon. Sep. 28 at 11:30 AM – Closed Captioned
Length: Shows Runs at 2 Hours 15 Mins appx
Where: Online, the link will be provided
Tickets: Single Household Pass: $27.51, Purchase Online
NOTE: Ticket sales are being handled by Ticket Co in the U.K. All prices are listed in British pounds. Charges to your credit card will be in U.S. dollars.
Other Performing Arts Favorites at the moment:
- In Concert at the Hollywood Bowl: Gustavo Dudamel hosts a new six-episode series highlighting unforgettable performances from the past 10 years at the Hollywood Bowl. Tune in to episodes of In Concert at the Hollywood Bowl online!
- SOUND/STAGE: Love in the Time of COVID: SOUND/STAGE is a new online collection of concert films and interviews, essays, and artwork that offer deeper insights into the music. Performances range from orchestral concerts featuring Gustavo Dudamel and the LA Phil to sets from Kamasi Washington, Andra Day, and Chicano Batman. Online
- Stars in the House (The Actor’s Fund ) – Daily online shows/concerts featuring stars of stage and screen singing and performing live from home. “This concert series will promote support for The Actors Fund’s services for those most vulnerable to the effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19).” Check back at 11 am PST and 5 pm PST and the schedule to watch.
- HBO Max has announced a streaming holiday concert celebrating the release of Carrie Underwood’s first full-length Christmas album, My Gift. The record became available on September 25. The streaming concert will premiere during the holiday season.
- Aaron Tveit, Jeremy Jordan, Laura Osnes, and More Set for Hallmark Christmas Movies! Laura Osnes, and Aaron Tveit, will star in the film One Royal Holiday, airing Sunday, November 1, at 8 pm ET. and Jeremy Jordan will star alongside Janel Parrish and Marisol Nichols in Holly & Ivy, airing Sunday, November 1, at 9 pm ET.